Invisalign and traditional braces are among the most popular teeth straightening treatments today. Both teeth straightening methods straighten teeth gradually over time and give amazing results. This makes most people who want to straighten their teeth confused about which method is best to use.
However, before choosing between braces or an Invisalign Fullerton treatment, you need to consider factors. Such factors include age, lifestyle, and the severity of correction needed. These factors have been analyzed below across both braces and Invisalign treatments to help enlighten you and inform your decision on what teeth straightening treatment might be best for you.
What are Invisalign and Braces?
The Invisalign treatment involves the use of clear aligners to straighten crooked teeth. They are custom-made and are designed to apply pressure on the teeth, gradually moving them into the desired position. These clear aligners are usually molded from medical-grade plastics. Invisalign treatments are done by an Invisalign Orthodontist in Fullerton and can be used as a less-visible alternative to traditional braces.
Traditional Braces adhere to the teeth directly, resulting in greater pressure. However, while braces have benefits, they can be uncomfortable and irritate. Braces are usually made from metal, although lingual and ceramic braces are the types of braces also used.
Benefits Of Invisalign Over Braces
These benefits include:
- Appearance: One major advantage of Invisalign over braces is its appearance. While braces adhere to teeth directly and are easily noticeable, Invisalign aligners are invisible to observers from a distance.
- Comfort: Invisalign is generally more comfortable than braces. They fit well against teeth and do not cause abrasions or discomforts that might usually accompany braces. Although there might be a little discomfort during Invisalign treatment, most of the mouth experiences no pain thanks to its comfortable fit.
- Easier to maintain oral hygiene: When using Invisalign treatment, all you need to do when it’s time to brush or floss is take out your aligners. This allows you to maintain oral hygiene much easier than the challenging dental care process associated with traditional braces.
- Freedom to eat hard or chewy foods: Individuals using braces usually avoid chewy or hard foods as they can cause irritation or damage. But this is not a problem with Invisalign, as all individuals with Invisalign aligners take out their aligners before eating.
- Lesser Orthodontist visits: People with braces usually have to visit the orthodontist for every adjustment. Although Invisalign might require an Invisalign orthodontics Fullerton visit every 3-6 weeks, it is also possible to get clear aligners and zero orthodontist visits. However, it is advisable to visit your orthodontist still to check on the state of your aligners.
Drawbacks Of Invisalign Over Braces
Despite its advantages, Invisalign treatment still has some drawbacks. They include:
- Might not be suitable for complex corrections: Clear aligners do not work for every teeth straightening situation and are ideal for individuals requiring minor straightening.
- Must be removed to eat: Invisalign aligners are usually molded from clear plastic, which can be warped or stained by heat. This is why individuals undergoing Invisalign treatment must remove their aligners before eating or drinking hot or colorful beverages. It is okay, however, to drink water without removing aligners.
- Requires care and discipline: Invisalign aligners should be worn daily for about 20-22 hours for effective therapy. It requires discipline to keep aligners on for these prolonged periods, especially as they are quite easy to remove. It is also easy for kids to lose their aligners, resulting in costs incurred in replacing aligners and extending the treatment time.
- More mouth brushing: Aligners are not recommended for individuals with poor oral hygiene as this can cause cavities. Individuals using aligners have to brush their teeth thoroughly after eating or drinking. During Invisalign treatment, it is possible for daily brushing to double or triple.
Proper teeth alignment can help improve your smile and boost self-confidence. Teeth straightening can be done either using Invisalign or traditional braces. Discussed above are the benefits and drawbacks of Invisalign treatment over traditional braces. You can go through the points discussed above and decide which teeth straightening method is best for you.
What Are the Long-Term Results?
The fact of the matter is that in the debate between Is Invisalign really better than braces it all comes down to personal choice, you should achieve beautiful, straighter teeth after treatment. So, to make the decision on which option is best for you it is important to discuss it with your Dentist Fullerton for specialized medical advice. Contact us today at 714-871-8445 to schedule an appointment for a complimentary initial consultation with Dr. Majd at Fullerton Family Orthodontics.